The drum brakes on the ’60 NewYorker are still in good working order, but with 500 cubic inch under the hood, some added safety in the form of better brakes is not a bad idea.
I didn’t like the fact that no affordable discbrake conversion were available that had a nice large 11.75″ diameter disc rotor.
So I set out to see if I could retrofit a 1973 Chrysler discrotor. These are relatively cheap and easy to find new.
Another thing I wanted, was to keep the original spindles on the car.
Bearingsizes are different on a ’60 Chrysler and ’73 Chrysler, so I made a simple collar to slide on the ’60 spindle so the original ’73 bearings would fit securely.
After that was done the disc could be mounted and further mockups could be made.
I also used 1973 brake calipers and brackets, which were mounted to the spindles with homemade adapter plates and spacers to align the calipers correctly to the rotors.